View Single Post
      05-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
sg_m
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have this problem on my car as well!

I'm driving a 2011 E92 DCT and have this resonance in 7th gear between 1,500-3,000rpm. It does not happen all the time and can sometimes be quite soft and sometimes really loud. Occurs on all sorts of roads, so I doubt that it's a tyre issue. Car drives well and shifts well too.

Took the car in to the M dealership here for some seat of the pants diagnosis with a couple of the sales guys here. We went for a quick trip and they concluded they've not heard this sound before but stopped short of saying it's not normal. I guess you can conclude that it isn't normal if they haven't heard it before right?

Other M drivers feel it could be an exhaust backpressure issue or a leaky exhaust, but also acknowledged this was not a sound they've heard before.

What pisses me off is the CSA (the guy who attends to customers bringing the cars in for servicing, etc) told me this is an exhaust backpressure issue and is normal. He kept repeating it was normal and it's like he was saying it's normal so I would stop questioning him. How the hell can a droning resonance be normal?!?! On a $400k car?? You're kidding me right???

I have no idea what the cause of it could be but am worried it could be bad running in procedures as the guy who arranges the tints and other pre-delivery stuff put 140km on the odo saying the tint people could not come to the shop, had to do this, had to do that. In tiny Singapore at rush hour on the expressway might not be the best way to run in the car for 140km, as well as I do not know how he has driven the car, not to mention that 140km on an island that measures some 30 odd km from east to west is much more than necessary. When I told the CSA this, he checked the system and said that it showed PDI service only clocked 20km, but the PDI fella and some of the sales people know about the 140km on the odo and have fessed up to it. Covering stuff up gives a person more reason for suspicion no? That pisses me off even more!

Have to say that the sales people try their best to help and have been honest with me as far as I can tell.

Car goes in for 5 days on Monday and I hope the first M dealership in the world can make good and hopefully rectify the issue.

Brand new car with 2400kms on it and already facing issues...sigh...will keep you guys updated on what our M dealership has to say about this.
Appreciate 0