11-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #43
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT M3 View Post
Apparently not that extensive of a debate ...
Hmm, if you don't call that thread a fairly epic debate I'm not sure we can agree on anything. Furthermore if you claim +10 hp from scoops is a proven fact we won't be able to agree on that either.

1/4 mi times and or some Vbox numbers would be most insightful to this debate as to what you car is actually putting down. I also doubt 65+ hp with bolt ons and software.

"Snake oil": Perhaps RJs term is a bit harsh. However, I have the same attitude/approach he does with products like scoops. The manufacturer does crappy non repeatable testing, perhaps with a bad dyno or not properly controlled dyno. No one shows any real world gains. Then many followers also report dyno gains and attribute them to that particular product (or even more innocently to a group of mods). Soon many are wasting money on a mod that does nothing and actively or passively promoting the product. The product might not be expensive but it will surely be overpriced and a waste. You might bash the scientific approach but what if I claimed I got 20 hp from a magnet placed on the side of my engine. Science (and common sense based on science) would tell you the claim is BS.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 11-04-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0