View Single Post
      11-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
If BMW actually had a small sedan, then performances variants could create a halo for an entire UKL lineup. That effect seems to have been a factor with the Audi and Mercedes successes.
The 2 GC (or 1/2 sedan for China, India, Mexico, Thailand etc) on the UKL platform will fix that. However it's not really a car for the US. Perhaps there would be some interest in it in highly urbanised areas; but a conventional gas-powered 2 series with a 3 or 4-pot engine and 1.5 to 2 litres costing $40-45,000 will go down like a lead balloon.

I don't agree that BMW fell asleep with performance versions of the hatches. The current x40i is very competitive and will - as it should - remain more niche than very hot versions of shopping cars from others, assuming they build on a CLAR-based 2 series.

Of course BMW is capable of building a very, very hot "four". It's deep in their DNA, deeper than the others in fact. They didn't want to until now. Besides, sales of the halo products are pretty small compared to the top models; as you say it's a small selection of vocal enthusiasts for whom the range revolves around the top end. (BTW here the x28i and x30i are also "top end" and quite rare.)

BTW I walked based a Model 3 in town earlier. It looked comical on the road, like a small apartment block. Totally out of place. There were but two charging bays nearby; one had a Leaf in it, the other was broken (no blue light). But I admit that says as much about the generally tired, under-invested and generally broken-down nature of Britain than the chronic dearth of EV infrastructure!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00