View Single Post
      11-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I think the major issue with the entry level offerings currently on sale from BMW is that they seem to be listening to the reviewers and magazines and not the wallets of consumers. All the reviews of the A3, CLA250, et. al. harp on the fact that the quality feel of the higher end models ins't there. You constantly here "evidence of cost cutting" in the review. You don't typically hear that about the BMW X1, 228i, etc.
You're right, they do take flack for that.

That said, I think this same type of commentary has come up to at least some degree in reviews of the X1/X2. The 2 Series coupe/convertible use a platform derived from the 3 Series, so it is understandable that these comments are far less common there.

Quote:
The problem is, most buyers don't really care. The Audi A3 and MB CLA250 are selling like wildfire, and they should be - they are great cars. I personally love the BMW 228i, but when moderately equipped - it comes out to $11,000 more than the Audi. Yes, the BMW is quicker and sportier and more fun to drive with a higher level of refinement. You know what, though? The buying public doesn't care. So yes, BMW does need a high performance variant of the small vehicle platform, but that is such a small seller, I just don't feel it would make the impact that adding additional cost cutting measures would to a small 1 or 2 series.
That and you can't hope to compete against four door sedans with a two door coupe and convertible. Sales figured prove this out in every segment of the market. The vast majority of people who want a practical daily car have no interest in a two door. And as you point out, they especially have no interest in paying thousands more for you to take away those rear doors.

If BMW actually had a small sedan, then performances variants could create a halo for an entire UKL lineup. That effect seems to have been a factor with the Audi and Mercedes successes.

Quote:
^ This. One of the best examples of doing this process right, has surprisingly been Ford. Ford was struggling for a long time and finally decided to bring it's compact segment vehicles that sell so well globally to the US market, a la the new Focus and Fiesta models. Not only did this allow them to capitalize on the ubiquitous global platform sharing model, but it brought legitimately quality compact vehicles to the lineup in the states. Results? Those two cars are now stellar sellers in the US market and create excellent compact car margins for the financial statements. Ford is essential doing the opposite of what BMW needs to do. This 'meet in the middle' plan of up-scaling economy brands and down-scaling luxury brands is really what appears to work. Can BMW capitalize on it like Ford has done? We shall see.
Unfortunately for Ford, the bottom has fallen out on non-premium passenger cars and they're now axing those very competent Focus and Fiesta offerings from the US lineup in favor of putting all resources into SUVs (including hybrid and electric). The move has some risks, and there are naysayers, but at least they are trying to be proactive and get out in front of it.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00