United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Maybe I have just been OTL but as far as I am aware this:

"In the BMW M3 Competition Package damping in the Sport mode is now regulated too - in the serial production model it is based on a fixed level"

is completely new information. It makes the EDC changes a bit more significant than I had previously thought.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
I would like to know more about this regulation..
Agreed. Disclosure of specific range for each mode would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleboy View Post
Not sure that is true on the weight, I know the e46 ZCP wheels were lighter than the stock 19"s.

-David
Has anyone weighed the 359Y ZCP wheels? The weights of both F/R would be nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
If you're responsible for a multi-million dollar R&D budget to make something better, then you damn well make it better. And if it's not better, you say it's better, but you strategically offer no real proof. I don't mean to be unduly harsh. In fact, I have ordered a new M3 with ZCP. But like the E46 package, it is of very nominal value, and certainly has little in common with a true club sport package. But, it does no harm, and it is a small incremental improvement.

While I'm on the soap box, I'll mention the brakes, regarding which some folks have been quick to complain. Usually, such complaints lack any relevant experience to substantiate any complaint at all. We seem to have an almost pathological desire for fixed, multi-piston calipers. For most casual, DE-type track use, the OE brakes are fine, assuming proper pads and fluid. And for almost all the remaining instances where brake performance is lacking, it can be greatly alleviated with better cooling. With that said, it is very true that this is a heavy car that generates some speed. On certain tracks, and/or with certain driving styles, that can be very demanding of brakes. If sticky tires and a handling-enhancing suspension are thrown in, then more is demanded of the brakes. But from my observations, the significant majority of BBK conversions are by owners who wash and take pictures of the brakes much more than they use them. And that is perfectly fine. We all spend money on hobbies in the manner we choose. But the rationalization often offered is unfounded and unfair to the original equipment, and gives others misleading information.
I can only imagine the embarrassment that will follow if the ZCP isn't measurably faster when laptimes are logged.

To those that say this is bogus marketing...It isn't bogus marketing if the product delivers better performance as advertised by the manufacturer.

On brakes...Well said. There are a lot of people that like "the look" more than anything else. To each his own, but you are quite right IMO to note the unwarranted criticism of the OEM hardware when the critic will not even bring him/herself to push the OEM hardware to the point of actually creating a need for "better" hardware.
Appreciate 0