View Single Post
      05-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
When I went around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in the BMW Ring-Taxi, Philipp Wänniger was our driver. He is a very nice guy and his driving skills are simply outstanding!
It is good to know that the suspension of our car is developed and tested by such competent people.
I cannot say if the ZCP version really is faster, but if anyone could proof this, it should be Philip Wänninger in the first place.
If you're responsible for a multi-million dollar R&D budget to make something better, then you damn well make it better. And if it's not better, you say it's better, but you strategically offer no real proof. I don't mean to be unduly harsh. In fact, I have ordered a new M3 with ZCP. But like the E46 package, it is of very nominal value, and certainly has little in common with a true club sport package. But, it does no harm, and it is a small incremental improvement.

While I'm on the soap box, I'll mention the brakes, regarding which some folks have been quick to complain. Usually, such complaints lack any relevant experience to substantiate any complaint at all. We seem to have an almost pathological desire for fixed, multi-piston calipers. For most casual, DE-type track use, the OE brakes are fine, assuming proper pads and fluid. And for almost all the remaining instances where brake performance is lacking, it can be greatly alleviated with better cooling. With that said, it is very true that this is a heavy car that generates some speed. On certain tracks, and/or with certain driving styles, that can be very demanding of brakes. If sticky tires and a handling-enhancing suspension are thrown in, then more is demanded of the brakes. But from my observations, the significant majority of BBK conversions are by owners who wash and take pictures of the brakes much more than they use them. And that is perfectly fine. We all spend money on hobbies in the manner we choose. But the rationalization often offered is unfounded and unfair to the original equipment, and gives others misleading information.
Appreciate 0