Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Hi, firstly - apologies .... this is definitely not a glamorous thread :

I have a UPVC double glazed door and windows that lead out to decking in my back garden.

Four of these glazed panels (out of 12), including the bottom panel of the door, have moisture between the glazing.

The panels are otherwise clean and structurally sound.

I was wanting to see if anyone knows;

(1) Is there a way to easily remove the moisture between the two glass layers (and prevent it from coming back)

(2) If the above is not possible, does anyone know if it is possible to pop the individual panel out and replace this.

If anyone has any links to a decent DIY site, that covers this type of thing ... that would be great.

I would like to avoid completely replacing the door and windows, as other than the moisture in these four panels, they are sound.

Thanks for reading .... cheers
The window seals are bad. You have 2 options. UPVC windows/doors are over all low cost but hold up to bad weather elements, however they are still on the cheaper end and quality can be lacking. Most track homes, apartments etc have them. I am biased here since I built my home and chose to go with aluminum windows and wood doors.

If you reseal it, its safe to assume if your windows had argon gas in them, and it has all leaked out. You can reseal them and hope the moisture doesnt come back.

Next you can replace the door/windows with dual glaze windows. I would go with windows with a Low E coating and argon gas. That will reduce a lot of solar heat. The better quality windows and doors have made a huge improvement on my A/C costs. This can matter depending what climate you live it. It pays to buy the higher quality ones. If you are in a damp climate metal clad or aluminum would make most sense. Wood doors would not be advisable in certain climates.

Last edited by Optherion; 11-08-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0