11-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #834
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm thinking 600-800cc sport/touring bike, acting as DD/corner carver, and I'm leaving my E90M3 for the tracking. The F800 GT/rninet both seem pretty appealing. I'm not looking for crazy power on my first bike, as I don't want to kill myself.

I'm not really looking forward to the F80 M3 as much as I was before, so I'm looking at a bike since I don't need any practicality. It'll be just a cruiser/corner carver in one.

I wonder if I should get a less powerful sport bike...600-800cc. Or go for a touring bike...
This is a good mindset to be in when looking for a first bike. I think you will do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
If you are looking for a less powerful sport bike, Ninja 650 or a Yami FZ6. I love the comfort of the riding position on my 650. My previous bike was a ZX10, and it was more of a hunched ride, and sucked for long rides. The 650 allows me to sit in a normal position having raised bars that aren't tucked under the windscreen. It is also peppy enough to have fun no matter what road I am on, enough power to pop the front wheel up, and its very well mannered and balanced.

I test rode an FZ6 and I would say it was very comparable to my 650, I just preferred the looks of the 650 so that's why I went with it. I am trying to sell it because I don't ride as much, but I would suggest it for someone wanting a first "sport bike", I tend to think of it more as a crossover between a touring, really.
Excellent advice.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS500 with 37 crank horsepower. Taught me how to corner.

My other favorite beyond what @Billup has mentioned is the SV650. I raced one and it's that versatile. From first bike to commuter to race bike, it's an awesome machine with enough power to be fun but not kill oneself.

The middleweight BMW's are cool bikes. I don't think you can go wrong with the mindset you have and anyone of these bikes.

Keep us posted, @turbolag!
Appreciate 0