06-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcga View Post
Just to clear up any confusion...I didn't waltz into the dealer and ask that the fluid be replaced. I told them that there is info that indicates there is no need to change the fluid, but..."if" your BMW instructions included changing the fluid make damn sure you use the correct fluid and not the 6mt stuff. I didn't confuse them, they did that to themselves. I will not accept any responsibility for this at all. I warned them about the fluid and they did the rest.
It's real simple. BMW NA's position is that if the fluid was changed with MT fluid, the tranny will be replaced, no if's and's or but's. If the dealer changed the fluid they HAD to have put MT fluid in it due to the fact DCT fluid is LIFETIME and BMW does NOT STOCK IT...they ONLY stock MT fluid! DCT fluid is only available through special order/circumstances. My understanding is all this confusion is the result of the fact the old MT's and SMG's on previous M3's used THE SAME FLUID. Now that is not the case so the service techs keep FUXKING it up!! Be warned.

By the way, that slipping is one of your two clutches going out...you will most likely lose gears 2,4, and 6 soon as I did due to MT fluid contamination.