View Single Post
      08-14-2022, 07:36 PM   #236
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Below are replies from vtl.
----------------------------

Some friends had sent me some links to forum threads where people had not followed the original design and subsituted their own variations of washers. In some cases looked completely wrong where the face of the washer wouldn't have proper contact with the coned face of the knuckle. The washer design while looking simple was actually very specific to allow proper contact to the face.

Yes locally we did have an instance of a snapped bolt and a couple cases of the bolts backing out. In my experience the bolts to the knuckle with the washers are prone backing out if they were not torqued up correctly. The factory spec is actually 100Nm + 90. I have found anything less than 100Nm (with no angle) will result in loose bolts (once its loose theres movement and youll get a snapped bolt). I do not beleive it is related to the thread engagement of the bolt, as the engagement with the knuckle is well over 1x the diameter (12mm)

I really dont like doing torque angles as the bolts have to be replaced every time. I personally put on 100Nm with no angle on my car and have not had any issues. Ideally I would like to simply use a higher static torque, but I have found a lot of times the bolt to the knuckle will simply not allow you to torque it up to a higher torque like 120nm (the bolt just stretches). Have personally installed these monoballs on i think around 7-8 cars and have not had issues if everything was torqued up correctly with a digital torque wrench. These days I just do 100Nm with loctite.

My own car is running fine with the upgrade and have taken it on interstate drives on fast tight roads and multiple track days (on 200TW tyres though, not slicks).

----------------------------

When I originally did the mod, custom washers were a last resort. I had a quick look at the mcgill washers but the face was simply wrong being a high misalignment washer and would not give proper contact (and be quite dangerous if used).
Appreciate 0