Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I can answer that - it's not as fun. Nobody wants to spend money going to HPDEs and come out feeling like they didn't have any fun. With new instructors, they can give a bit too much feedback so every corner and every session, there's something new. At that point, it's not much different than sitting in a classroom for a lecture.

I'm a supporter of giving intermediate students capable of driving safely some solo time so they can practice what they learned without interruption. In my experience, the more seasoned instructors will often sit quietly for most of a lap if you're not doing anything drastically wrong so that's almost the same thing.
It boils down to why you are doing HPDE days:

1. For pure fun, or
2. For fun AND education

I do it for #2. I want to be a better driver, as I have a goal of doing wheel to wheel racing in the next year or two. Even as an instructor, I will always accept a passenger who can potentially offer me advice or a different perspective.

My wife is solidly in #1. She dislikes having an instructor because she feels like she's having a less relaxed, fun time. But she understands she needs one to be a safe, smooth, and aware HPDE driver. She runs solo but sometimes has another instructor ride shotgun for tips and tricks. Not me, as we don't want to get divorced
Appreciate 0