07-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #24
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I agree with you guys but you have to understand that any thread with a similar issue like mine is people non stop posting asking why the bearings weren't changed. How does this help my situation? I completely agree the issue is relevant and possibly getting worse as time goes on but in my thread you can clearly see my intentions for responses were more on line with anyone that has had a similar issue and what their outcome was. Was engine able to be saved? Was a simple bearing job necessary? Was the engine replaced? If so, how much was the total cost and how long was the car out?
I would say 95% of the time, the outcome is the same. In our experience, 95% of the time (let's call that 100% of the time), the rod knock causes crankshaft damage -- even if it's not visible to the naked eye. You need to make sure the crank journal is still round, even if it looks perfect to the naked eye. A micrometer will get you in the ball park, but not perfect for measuring the roundness of the journal. Only way to be 100% sure is with the crank out of the engine and measure with a dial indicator. If the journal is a few 1/10000's out of round, I think you'll be replacing the bearings again -- and next time it will probably be much more costly. I've seen it happen. On a different note. One crankshaft looked perfect, but magnaflux showed it was cracked. The crank had to be junked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Also if anyone wants to chime in and let me know how much they think my car would sell for with rod knock? I'll post some pictures up as it's atheistically very modded, probably won't affect the price very much. Can't find anything online with either a blown engine or rod knock engine so I don't know how it'd be priced.
I would say $15k - $18k as is.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00