Thread: JRZ RS1 shocks.
View Single Post
      06-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #108
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Best dual set up I have had on this car by a long shot.

Street.
I and running 500/800 Hypercoil springs and the street ride is great. It is firm, but there is no harshness in the suspension at all. The shocks truly do absorb the bumps instead of just trying to go over them compared to other set ups I have had on the M3. I live in downtown Toronto, and the streets here are very poor. Cracked pavement, large expansion joints, street car tracks, pot holes...you name it we got it. You know the bumps are there, the car does not mask them, but it deals with them all very well and does not translate the harshness or the impact to the passengers. When Im running on my 19" street set up, the ride is actually very nice, freeway cruising is a joy with these. They have a better street ride then my Moton SS and KW CS kits.

Track.
Now I have only had one proper track day on them, the last event I was ill, and the event before that was very cold and my tires could not get up to temp.
I went to a yearly event held by a friend of mine at Shannonville Raceway. Its a mix of low speed and medium speed corners with two straights, can hit about 195KM on the back straight. There is one high speed corner and nice double apex that you can carry some good speed through. The surface is rough, and its a mix of mostly asphalt with some concrete patches I think.
Initially I had the shocks set up at 10/8 clicks from full soft, there are 22 in total. I am only running -1.8 camber up front, but hoping to get the resolved and dial in some more for my next event at Watkins Glen in 2 weeks. Initially the car was a bit slow to react, or slower then I like and I was getting a bit of mid to late corner oversteer, but very progressive, not scary at all. The rear would squat properly when I caught on the power, set and roll, but then on some corners it would slide a bit more then I thought was acceptable compared to the my other set ups when I get on the power. I pumped it up to 12/10, it got a better....then I emailed James@BW from the track and he gave me a few suggestions and we pumped it up to 14/12. I tried a few other combos too, but for this particular track 14/12 worked great. The car was extremely stable, not harsh at all, the surface here is not smooth and like to use the curbing. it still had a touch of mid corner over steer, but much better and it was easily controlled with proper throttle control.
Im really impressed how the car is stiff, but yet remained to so compliant over the bumps on the track and it never never got unsettled, even when I was being a bit dump with it. I think if I tracked more, I could properly even go with a stiffer set up.

Im going to change up the alignment settings a bit to try to get a more positive turn in with more camber. Hopefully my shop can figure out why its only letting me dial in -1.8, Im running GC plates.

Also, its great how Bimmerworld stands behind what they sell. The shocks were getting noisy, BW sent me new ones, they provided me real time assistance at the track, and I will continue to use them for these reason.

If you have any questions about the RS1s or my setup, please feel free to ask me.

If there are any grammar or spelling mistakes, I apologize, I wrote this on my iPad in the car rather quickly(no I'm not driving), LOL.