View Single Post
      08-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
If by “you need to tidy things up a bunch” you meant I was drifting too much then that was the whole point of going to the autox for me. There is no better place to perfect the “loose” driving style than at an autox where there is little risk in damaging the car. To be able to control the car and to drive it fast just over the limit of traction is a very important skill IMO, as it allows you to safely bring the car back into the limit of traction without losing time. To have a place where I can intentionally put the car into those situations and then to practice working through it is the best part of an autox and the only reason I go because I think cone racing is gay. The guys that ran the event were shocked when I told them I’ve never autox before.

As far as the M3 goes, it is the best car I’ve ever owned. The way I made other people look stupid on the Nurburgring is a testament to the M3’s power and handling. As I have said before in other threads, I’ve been passed 2 times in the M3. One was a heavily modified M3 CSL, the other was a 997 GT3RS. Of course it is all driver dependent but for me this car gives you the confidence to drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yeah that link works. You need to tidy things up a bunch. Practice and concentration will clean things up and make you a lot more competitive.

Just like in any other "racing", classification is key, to get like cars into the right groupings. If you can do that, then the fun begins whether you're in HS or A-Mod. Hustling big cars like the M3, Mustangs and Z06s around the track is very educational and fun. Doing the same course in an A-Mod or kart is entirely different and fun, but different.

Since we drive big, heavy cars on the street, I think of AX is a skill that will directly benefit your day-to-day driving. So will the track and I like doing that. Both have technical skills that must be mastered to be competitive. I am competitive by nature, but I autocross for fun, but winning is part of my fun. Racing the BMW CCA classes gives me a fair chance to win. I did the SCCA thing for many years and selected my cars partly based on their class competitiveness. OTOH, I bought this M3 purely because I love the car.

Dave
Appreciate 0