View Single Post
      08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
If it's not really badly bent, get it fixed. The pro shops will let you know if it's too badly crunched to safely fix, and they do a fine job of heating and persuading, heating and persuading until it's pretty much perfect as measured with a runout gauge.

You might want to leave the room while they're working, though. I very noticeably bent two front rims on our 3-liter M3, and while the guys were working, I was reminded of that old saying about the ballet. From 20 rows back, it's clearly art, but in the front row, you can hear the grunts and popping joints, and watch the sweat fly.

Bruce
Do not heat and hammer the bends. Even though it will fix the bend, it will weaken the wheel and much more likely bend again. If you want to avoid buying a new rim, and want to repair the bend, get it cold-rolled. It is a little more expensive, but the correct way to do it. Depending on the wheel and how much a replacement costs, I would consider this option. If you can find a replacement wheel for a few hundred dollars, id go with that option.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0