Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
The Borla has a deeper tone to it that falls away the higher up you go in the rev range.

To my ears, the Akra definitely has a more metallic sound. Not raspy, but not as deep. I wish I could be more scientific than that.
Money no option, which would you buy and why?

I say the point of an aftermarket exhaust is to increase db level and sound right? So which checks the boxes enough to notice?
I'd still go with Borla. The welds are beautifully done and the fit is excellent. The sound gives a deep baritone that's missing from the stock exhaust. So does the Akra, But where the Akra gets more raspy and metallic as you climb up the rev range, the Borla simply falls away and you hear the engine. Like an excellent backup singer. It's also deep enough around town to draw attention without being obnoxious.

I think that Borla gets a bad rap because it's more known for American muscle than exotic German engines, but Ive enjoyed them in many of my cars, none American.

It's hard to make this engine sound bad, and the Akra is also a beautiful piece. But I see no advantage to it over the Borla