01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #34
buzz367
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
Here's a couple of thoughts...

1. Once you hear the noise, depending on number of miles per day, it could last a month or more. For me personally the noise got worse every morning on the cold start and I replaced it within a month to 1.5 months from the time I heard it first.

2. The overall cost to replace the tensioners and pulleys less the hydraulic pieces is somewhere around the $400 mark... $600 if you replace the hydraulic units (parts only/self labor). Mine were Ok so I decided not to replace them.

3. There are caps on the tensioner pulleys (supposed to be anyway) that keep dirt out. You can try to pop the caps off and spray some WD 40 or lithium grease spray while the car is operating which may quiet things down. Unfortunately you can't access it with the fan shroud in place. You could pull the fan shroud and then pull the cap, start the vehicle, spray the pulley several times, and maybe buy yourself some more time. Be aware that pulling the fan may throw a code if you start it without it hooked up. I forget if it self clears or not. Have you scanner close by just in case.

Hope that helps.

Doug
Thanks for the feedback, the sound basically has gone away over the last few weeks. We had a couple really cold mornings here in San Diego, and thats when it started. If it's not making a noise I think I'll just wait until my next service in 6 months.
Appreciate 0