View Single Post
      10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AWE92M3 View Post
But what i dont get is, the 8000k runs a hotter temperature then the OE 4300 light. How can the 8000k not run hotter? The 8000k runs hotter inside the bulb because the color temperature is higher? Mening it must feel the need of more ampere to keep it at high temperature?
The term 8000K and 4300K is a little misleading in terms of HIDs. Yes, Kelvin is a rating of the temperature of a substance, but in HID terms it is actually referring to the color rating and not temperature at all. When things reach a certain temperature(such as the stars and stuff) they will begin to emit a particular wavelength of color/light corresponding to their temperature. For example, when a substance reaches 6000K in temperature, it will emit a whitish/purple color. Likewise, if something reaches a 8000K temperature it will emit a bluish color. This is what the 8000K or 4300K is actually referring to, NOT temperature. A little misleading.

As far as HID bulb design, it is generally all the same regardless of color rating. The light in an HID bulb is actually generated by an arc and not a filament like traditional halogen bulbs. Mercury vapor in combination with xenon gas and some salts when excited with moving electrons will begin to give off visible light. A mixture of different gases is responsible for the different colors. What the gas combination is, I'm not sure.

So to answer your question. The bulb does not need to draw more ampere to generate a higher "temperature" color. The mixtures of gas used is responsible for that.
Appreciate 0