mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
Mid-Corner-Fun,

You seem very confident Greenbaum would never have me dyno re-classed to TTB (from TTB**). You may be right but I have an email into him on this topic now. Assuming I cannot, I wholeheartedly agree I could never be competitive in TTB and do not care to make the investment to compete in TT3.

You also say, even if I were dyno re-classed, any upgrade will bump me up to TT3. Why do you say this? My question is not intended to be argumentative but, truly, to learn why you believe this. Maybe there is a reason that I don't know? If was re-classed into TTB, I would do the following:

6 Pts..........AST Coilovers (inverted)
13 Pts........BFG R1 265/35/18 (or Hoosier R6s 285/35/18 for 12 pts).

Total Points = 19pts (or 18 Pts)

If I was allowed to do this, do you still think the car would be inherently uncompetitive? If so, please explain. I'd want to know so I don't make the mistake of buying an expensive uncompetitive car. I know for a fact some near stock cars can be competitive in TT (e.g., the BRZ/FRS in TTD and a '10 GTI in TTE, which set two track records at Gingerman and Road America last year).

Lastly, as for going back to W2W (since I have already done Spec Miata with SCCA and Midwestern Council), that is just not practical for me right now. However, I appreciate the idea. My buddy is the Race Director for Spec e30 in the Midwest and he is constantly on my ass to get in.

Once again, thank you for your advice and thoughts.
My comments were based on re-classing attempts I've witnessed via fellow racers & friends but I did not mean to discourage you, unlikely does not mean impossible.

As far as bumping up class-wise, let's say you do end up in TTB somehow. The calculations you made leave a margin of 1 or 2 points before up classing. That's a very tight margin, it leaves no room for future (planned or unplanned) adjustments. Were you not planning to run camber plates? No aero eventually? Sorry, not on a computer so I can't look up the exact points right now.

Also, how is the field in your particular region? Is there decent competition in TTB or TTA/TT3?

Either way, my point is that investing in a platform based on the hope that a reclassification may make it relatively competitive is risky. I would rather plan for a competitive setup based on an existing class + add-on points but that's just me. BTW, in my region DE4 & TT run together in most events, I opt to run with DE4 as I'm squarely in TTA territory and off by ~4 secs from the leaders, no way to get closer without losing some serious weight or do serious upgrades to this platform.

Hope you sort this out, always good to have more people in the TT groups!
Appreciate 0