Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Don’t jump on the first car you see, view and drive as many as you can. I test drove six cars before deciding on the one I liked the most. All drove basically the same despite varying between 2009 and 2011, and 70000-12000km. That confirmed to me the advice to buy on condition rather than year or kilometres (to a reasonable degree anyway).

Had to wait several months for the spec I wanted to come up, and then several weeks more before the dealer accepted my offer.

I’d expect that will exclude an awful lot of options. These cars are frequently leased from new. Not sure why maintenance wouldn’t be done since it’s generally included in a lease deal.
Usually the leased cars are owned by people who will drive the car for a a bit like 1-3 years and return it so they don't really care how they drive it or don't take care of it. They are usually not enthusiast owned, meaning they won't take it easy under cold start and warming it up, and who hows what grade fuel they would use. I remember back when I was looking for a e92 m3 and there was one that I really liked but it was a lease return. It had all the service history from a BMW dealer but oil change intervals of 15,000km... and the interior looked like it had 100,000km on it.
I just think you're making a lot of assumptions and sweeping statements there.

I don't think it's fair to suggest all leases are issued to people who aren't enthusiasts, quite often a lease makes sense for tax purposes and allows you to more frequently swap into a new car without the hassles of "ownership". I'd be surprised if proper servicing wasn't a requirement of the lease.
Appreciate 0