04-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #22
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Super interesting info.

I did not get your comment about the solid rear subframe bushings and the adjustable sway.

I got the Hotchins bars myself and will install them soon along with the MCS. I have no clue about setup though. This looks promising hehe

Interesting review of the Trofeo Rs. I thought the fastest 'street' tire was the RE71. It's around $1300/set vs the ~$1500 for this. It's interesting though, they have a 295 18" tire that fits my square 10.5" wheels that may be quite interesting for track use

I've always run a square setup, basically because I have dedicated track wheels and 10.5" fits both the front and the rear of the car. If I could fit an 11" I would and then it would be staggered, but I can't just yet.
For street driving, 10.5 square sucks. I swap wheels after track days if I'm going to drive on the street
When you install solid rear subframe bushings, you actually soften the rear suspension, because now there is less flex and the damper and springs are doing more of the work. The car becomes more compliant. For example, on my E46, I had already installed my whole track setup, except subs....but the moment I replaced the stock subs with solid, the rear of the car gained grip and I needed to stiffen the rear bar in order to get the previous balance back.

No different with the E92. When you remove the slop of the subframe, the damper and springs are able to do more of the work, and thus, typically the car will gain grip. I think this is why many people who have a front only bar, also only have stock subframe bushings, and don't seem to complain as much about the handling.

The hotchkis bars are great. FYI - to get "stock" swaybar handling bias with the hotchkis, you will want to set them at (from soft) front hole 2 and the rear at hole 2. That's what I did, and adjust from there. With square setup, and similar spring rates, you likely won't need full stiff rear.

I totally get the square setup, it works and is great, I'm just taking the path of greater resistance to good handling. AKA lazy. I literally don't want to change wheels for this car. Hop in and go is all I want! Then at most, turn some shock knobs or a swaybar setting at the track.

I call a "street" tire anything with tread that can be driven, so tires like Micheline Pilot Sport Cup 2, Trofeo-R's fall in that category. While the RE71 does offer Nitto NT01 like performance, the Trofeo-R is in a category by itself, with the Sport Cup 2 not too far behind. It's uncanny how much this tire grips.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0