02-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzm3 View Post
Any pictures of the shocks?
This is exactly what they look like. I actually like the integrated helper/tender spring for the rear setup. It's an 800lb spring, but also provides a little more compliant ride on street for that very initial bit of travel, or when it totally unloads. Same as stock 997.1 GT3/RS. Simple, but effective. Quiet too....no clanking from springs totally unweighting. Camber plate is pretty simple, but again, effective, built like a tank. I can always buy another camber plate if I decide I want something with more features. Endlinks are sized perfectly for use with stock or adjustable swaybar. Don't be frightened by the MSRP most places list, I haggled with a few vendors, and you can find the setup for just over $4K.

The cost for this kit is all wrapped up in their double adjustable piston rod and adjuster, which comes straight from the MDS motorsport shocks. These are fully serviceable/rebuildable, and can also be turned into a full coilover rear, or upgraded to low friction seals...ala MDS, or typical of other "race" dampers, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a dual purpose clubsport shock.

I think the issue with Bilstein is that unlike lots of other vendors who sell (and market) directly with consumers (even directly in the forums), Bilstein only works through distributors, so they get a lot less "hype". A lot of vendors sometimes push and sell what products they get good distributor pricing for, or who they know. Like I said, not saying this is better or worse than other options, I'm just saying this should to be an option that more people look at......

I was impressed at their use in F80 M4 world by the German tuner, Lightweight, who are setting crazy fast production car lap times using Bilstein Clubsports. They have a 520hp M4 lapping as fast as a 991 GT3 on same tires, using Clubsports. Another tuner, Versus, has a similar car, but on KW Clubsports, 40hp more, and wider Trofeo R's (which are stickier than Sport Cup 2's) still could not match the time of the Lightweight car with same driver, despite these advantages of grip and power. That tells me the handling/setup was better with the Bilsteins. It's pretty well known that Trofeo-R tires are worth about 1-2 seconds a lap over Sport Cup 2's.....and that doesn't even take into account the power advantage.

http://www.bmwtuningmag.com/m4-clubsport-evo-bilstein/
Attached Images

'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar

Last edited by Mvez; 02-16-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00