View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

A high revving engine with a good power curve is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, why I fell in love with M3s.

The balance, handling, looks are awesome. But theres just something about an 8k redline with perfect power output that just does it for me.

The next M3/M4 with probably not have a high redline. Nor will it feel like past M3s in its power output. I really hope it does, but I havnt seen a turbo car come close.

I drove a buddies new twin turbo M5 the other day. It was balls to the wall fast, gobs of torque, launches you when you get on it. However, it was quiet, it didnt rev high, redlining the car felt mediocre compared to the V10 M5 or even the V8 M3. It's plenty fast, but I cant say it excited or impressed me. Even if you throw an exhaust on it, its not going to scream, its going to burble like a boat. My brothers X6M needed an exhaust and now sounds better, but not like they used to make em. As a matter of fact, the X6M is much more thrilling to drive because you are sitting so high up, it feels super fast. It's just not common to sit that high up and go that fast that well.

If I wanted pavement eating torque, my last 5 cars would have been from AMG. I wanted the screaming thrill with an emphasis on chasis so I they were all BMW M cars.

We used to have 3 choices come out of Germany (not counting porsche)...

M cars for those who enjoyed balance and perfection.

AMG cars for those who enjoyed massive power and torque.

and Audis for those who wanted training wheels (just joking lol)

Now, the BMWs are starting to trade high RPMs for turbo power...

AMG cars are starting to really impress with offering more like the Black Series cars...

and Audi... Audi is making coupes with 8500 RPM V8s.

I am a supporter of BMW, always have been. And I'm super excited and eager to see and hear the specs on the next wave of M cars (M2/M3/M4). With that said, I really REALLY hope BMW comes through with not just being fast, but retaining that incredible thrill to drive.