10-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #1309
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurmit View Post
Ah right, so I can't connect iPhone to the CarPlay box via cable/WiFi whilst simultaneously outputting iPhone audio via Bluetooth? Ie iPhone will always output via same method of connection to Carplay.

Rather than trying to force the iPhone to allow this, which doesn't seem to have worked, why can't the makers of these CarPlay boxes just introduce audio output via Bluetooth as well as via aux out? Then we could connect phone via lightning cable/wifi to CarPlay box and connect CarPlay box to car via bluetooth.

OR if there was a CarPlay box with 2 bluetooth units built in, then in fact we could connect iPhone to the CarPlay box using ANY method, whilst still being able to output carplay audio to bmw via bluetooth.

So ideally iPhone could connect to Bluetooth device "CarPlay" and bmw could connect to Bluetooth device "CarPlay Audio" - that would work?
I suspect they have to adhere to Apple's official carplay spec, and have a limited amount of ability to override what's in that spec.

Fortunately, there seem to be more players in the aftermarket carplay game now, so we're seeing more carplay options and the pricing is dropping a bit. I'd love to see somebody produce a carplay box that outputs directly to the MOST bus (emulating a factory CD changer, perhaps), but I think that route may be cost-prohibitive to produce.

I'll be testing a kremersino "v3" unit soon and will provide feedback on it.
Appreciate 0