11-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #17
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
One quick update.

I was told that using Liquid Moly and Motul motor oils solves the oil burning problem in M3s and some Porsches. Well that is not the case. My M3 still burns oil (180k miles), even with LM Ceratec. It might be that the rate at which oil burns is slowed due to the additives in these German and French made oils. New valve cover gaskets might also be reducing the oil consumption rate. Leaky VC gaskets are typically the source of higher oil consumption over time in higher mileage M3s.

Where does the burning oil go? Out the tail pipe or into your engine as carbon buildup or sludge? There must be a defect in the oil pump or other engine seals (piston rings or valve seals/seats.

I will have to see if there is an oil burning issue with the 335i N55 loaded with LM 5w40.
M3 oil measuring can be done on the go, but the 335i requires the car to be stationary.

The lower cost of LM/Motul oil changes, and more frequent service intervals (5-7.5k miles), still makes it the optimal choice for BMW and other car owners.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 11-17-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0