Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Hi Dreamtime

You stated that your goal is to be a race car driver. Lots of advice some good some bad. There is no shortage of people wanting to separate you from your racing dollars, keep that in mind. Doing HDPE's is fine but that is not going to prepare you for w2w racing other than having track time. I would recommend Bertil Roos school, tracks are pocono, njmp, palm beach and a few others. Take a 5 day, 3 day beginner, 2 day advanced. You get two races at the end of the advanced school that qualifies you for a NASA or SCCA License. Drive the slide car, hopefully it will rain, more experience, passing from the get go, all in an open wheel 2 liter formula car. If you can drive this car well you can drive anything.
Hello m13s,

Thank you for your response, you have provided some great advice. You are much appreciated!

I checked out the 5 day Bertil Roos school, that seems amazing. Price is a little high - but, like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I'm going to be thinking about this pretty damn hard now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Take that knowledge and decide what you want to race and go from there. Not knocking HPDE's at all but chasing lap times is a fools errand and HPDE's does not teach racing. If you want to race go to a racing school and do it proper, there are no shortcuts.

Lots of people giving advice on car mods, save your money and put it into your driving. Hire a coach for a weekend or a day. Define a plan with him/her, and execute. There are many classes to race in, arrive and drives to dip your feet in. Don't make the classic mistake of spending all your money on mods, so there is nothing left to spend on learning how to drive.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side should you decide to go w2w.
I fully appreciate the No Shortcuts approach to everything in life. Your words definitely resonate with me. To be fair, my current HPDE situation is a bit more specialized than most, and for this, I am very thankful. When I went to Watkins Glen earlier this year, I became friends with the person who has become my personal driving coach. He is one of the best drivers I have ever known personally (no need to elaborate/name drop/gush about shit), and since the Glen we have done Pitt Race and Mid Ohio. Next is VIR, then Sebring in the winter. Next year, we will be on track as often as our schedules will allow. He doesn't let me chase lap times. He also doesn't put up with any bullshit. I have improved dramatically since meeting him. Also, when I'm not with my driving coach at the next year's worth of HPDEs I will be with my best track friend, who just bought a racecar, which I will get to drive for my first time at VIR in a couple weeks. While I work towards the goal of obtaining my race license by the end of 2019, I will be practicing in his E30 racecar (when I'm not in my E90 M3) so we can be teammates as soon as I have my license. FuzzyPeaches JMJ Racing FTW Thanks, buddy. Much love!!

As far as mods, I find my car more than capable at the moment. I have listened to all the people who, from the beginning, have told me that seat time is the single best thing to spend my money on. I will know when I am pushing my car past the point of its limits, at that point I can upgrade. Although, by then I will probably need a car just for the track, for real.

And, the goal has been w2w since day 1. So, darkside... here I come

All that being said, I hear what you are saying. I can tell good advice when I hear it, and I will take everything you have said to heart. Thank you.

Mary
You should sign up for BMWCCA club racing school. You can do it in a street car if you wish. It's a lot of fun and will give you a nice taste of W2W. I bet that's been suggested to you already. Skip Barber is up and running again to. A friend of mine Christine Lam is an instructor. She also races with NASA. You should also consider NASA TT in your street car.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50