View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #1041
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

IL2 Sturmovik in "Quick Mission" mode so I can record & save my best sorties for learning (and bragging) purposes. IMHO it is very rewarding and deep WW2 dogflight simulator: recently I made it even more engrossing by disabling all computer aides and flying purely on cockpit instruments. So far I use exclusively German planes and do mostly ground-attack missions in BF-109 G6, FW-190 A5, HS-129 and recently JU-87.

It is incredibly exhilarating and quite challenging to fly JU-87 "Stuka" on knife's edge knowing that if I open radiators one inch more I will stall but if I close them one inch I will cook the already overstressed engine resulting in a harrowing deadstick landing. All the while craning my neck (I have TrackIR) to peer into tiny dots in the distance which may or may not be enemy tanks, at the same time centering the inclinometer to make my turns as aerodynamic as possible.

And then I decide those dots are enemies, proceed to climb to 500 meters and dive after them at 30-40% attack angle. I lean slightly right and down to look through the sights, I turn-on magnification and start holding my breath to steady my nerves so I can make tiny, precise adjustments to rudder and ailerons. I see my intended victim, it is T-34 but I must wait until it is within 300-400meters or else my bullets miss convergence point, finally I pull the trigger for a 6-shot salvo but I miss: as I curse because I just lost 25% of my ammo count, it is time for another pass.

Last edited by Wheelwright; 08-14-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
xander_g989.50