Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 2023 X7 40i M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson View Post
How did this work out for you?

I see several possible outcomes in the event of a broken valve spring;

1. The engine runs rough, but the valve spring retainer stays in place and the valve doesn't drop far into the combustion chamber. In this case, depending on the engine design, the piston may strike the valve without major damage, or it may break the head off the valve and cause major collateral damage.

2. The release of spring pressure takes tension off the spring retainer and the vibration causes the collars to fall out and release the spring retainer. If that happens, the valve falls into the combustion chamber and causes major collateral damage.
Dash lit up with the CEL, car went into limp mode. I was able to drive it to a safe place to get towed about 1.5 miles away. Engine was sputtering terribly and stalled out a couple times while trying to get it on/off the flatbed.

Apparently, there wasn't any other major damage as they were able to repair the spring. I didn't have a warranty, so i paid out of pocket, about $3,100 to replace the one spring. Honestly, I've been thinking about selling the car ever since, but I have put on 850 miles since the repair. Haven't been driving hard, but i've taken it up to 7-8k rpms and all seems... fine. I used to go on canyon runs often and I haven't done one since. Just nervous I guess, which take out all the fun of owning one of these cars.

The service advisor said that I should do an oil change at 1K miles post-repair and every 2-3K miles thereafter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Did you hear any kind of rattling prior? Or just the dash lights?
No rattling. I was going uphill at the time, so I was in 3rd gear for about 2 minutes or so... but it was gentle driving. Seems like the valve spring gave out on the spot.

Last edited by E9T.two; 09-15-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling / grammar
Appreciate 0