PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Repaints never work out as well as original paint over a virgin bumper. A repaint can wear very well if the shop preps the bumper properlyy and applies the correct top coats and flex agents (which most never do).

1. Do you recommend front bumper only clear wrap?
Yes it's a great option since the bumpers take the majority of wear.

2. Is it okay to put clear wrap right after re-painting the bumper?
No, you need to let the paint cure (it shrinks). Most will recommend a month. Same as waiting before you can wax.

3. How much would a clear wrap (front bumper only) cost normally?
Depends 100% on location/shop, material brand used, hand cut/machine cut. Could range from $400-900.

All of this

I manage an auto body shop that repaints bumpers the correct way, but it is very pricey. A proper repaint of a bumper is about $1000 (just labor and paint). Clear wrap is another $700. Catch is you have to wait at least a month to clear wrap after painting, and in the mean time how do you prevent new rock chips on the new paint other than not driving the car....
The way I plan to avoid rock chips is to order a euro M3 bumper. Then get it painted, then let it sit in my backyard for a month to let the sun cure and bake it (maybe I'll keep it under the patio). Or I'll let the body shop keep it for a month. Then have PPF applied. Then install it and sell off the original bumper.
Appreciate 1
Timujin351.50