11-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #45
dans///m3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
As it pertains to the rear. Altering the length spring affects the ride height. Altering the length of the shock affects the range of motion when the shock is fully extended. Because of the geometry of the suspension components i.e. 5mm on the spring my not translate to 5mm on the shock. I wouldn't deviate lot from the recommended settings. I just went down a tad. I used the suggested setting in rear at first and I could feel the pre-load on the spring by tugging and twisting on it. When I lowered the ride height I lowered the shock to the same preload "Feel" that it had with the suggested settings. Not rocket science
Thanks again. Sorry for being so newb - bear with me. I would actually like to raise the rear because I don't like the "tucked" look at all (20mm rear is .875", want it about .6" or about 14 - 15mm).

Let's say I changed the adjuster from 37mm to 43mm (4 turns) and left the shock as is (per recommended settings), would that have any adverse affects? Or do you recommend trying to keep the preload the same as recommended (thus lengthening the shock a bit, although not necessarily 6mm - since you've said it doesn't exactly translate)? The instructions say that the adjustments can be about +-15mm from recommended - so we should still be well within optimal operating ranges, right?