View Single Post
      12-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Talk me off the ledge...e90 M3 -->F10 M5?

So an F10 M5 is in my future for sure...the questions is when and, if sooner than later, does it come at the expense of my e90 M3?

I've set a goal of getting an F10 M5 to coincide w/ a career goal. It's a bit of a "reward" to myself, delaying gratification, character building, all that good stuff. Everything was on track until this past weekend when I saw a 2013 M5 for an incredible deal. The local BMW dealer is asking about $29k for it, but it has 108k mi on the clock. Clearly, too many miles. Still, never having driven one and looking to convince the wife that the M5 is my next vehicle, we drove to the dealer, jumped in the car and test drove it. Sure, it was raining so I didn't get a chance to really put it through it's paces but I came away very impressed. I was most impressed by the condition of the vehicle. To say it was clean would be an understatement. It turns out that it was a 1 owner car, leased twice by the same guy (a 60 year old fella), who commuted nearly 2 hrs daily. All service done by the BMW dealer. Seats and steering wheel were particularly clean, which was impressive for a car w/ so many miles. Obviously, it's completely different than my e90M3, but at age 41, I can't help but feel like, I'm more M5 than I am M3.

So fast forward to the question - Although the M5 above may NOT be the right one for me, it got me thinking, should I sell the e90 M3 so that I can make a play for a 2014 comp pkg M5? Or, stick w/ the original plan which is to wait 2-3 years, hit my career goal and then pick up a nicer, lower mileage, newer F10 M5 w/ comp pkg, and potentially keep my e90 as well?

For the record, my M3 is a pretty well sorted, nicely spec'd garage queen so I would likely ask for more than current market value (making a quick sale kind of unlikely). I think I know my answer (stay the course, stick w/ the plan) but wanted to post the question here.

Has anyone here made that switch? e9x M3 to F10 M5? Does anyone have both?