View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
Ginlaan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmun340 View Post
Thanks a lot for the price break up. Did you actually see the parts with the letters BMW stamped on the metal ? Compare pictures of these two items :
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/21212283820/

Many vendors advertise replacement parts as "original equipment components" or "stock replacement" which are not "original equipement manufactured components" and some will flat lie and say OEM.
if you compare the cheap flywheel in the link above with the expensive "genuine bmw", they look identical. Could they be made of different materials or is the difference just the bmw stamp ? I honestly do not know but I cannot believe a doubling in price is justifiable. Based on what you paid for your flywheel probably does not have the BMW stamp on it but maybe this is the right way to go.

Is it possible to source your parts online, then ask an Indy shop to place the order (or bring them yourself) and pay for labor only ?

If the shop does not have an inventory of parts in its own warehouse and is just ordering parts per need basis i don't see how they can justify an additional mark up on parts.
Parts mark up or a parts matrix is completely justifiable. It is not as easy as people think to get a reputable shop to allow you to bring in your own parts to install. A matrix is a must for any shop to financial successful. What that matrix equates to differs from shop to shop but yea parts marked up 1 to 2 times cost is the norm. To me I would rather nogiate total price and get the warranty from the shop. Provide your own stuff and you can be sure 1 your going pay a much higher labor and 2 no warranty whatsever.
Appreciate 0