01-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #75
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Except for size and weight, of course. I never liked our E46 much, and the new one is better in almost every way (as you say) - yet I couldn't help but notice the extra wheelbase and poundage when doing some twisties. The 128 I drove had much better tossability.

I've never driven an E30 version, but judging by my experience with the E36, 46 and 92, that old car was probably the best one for back-road banditry.

Bruce
It's my first M3 but I am lucky enough to have a family member who has an E46 M3 and previously owned by the E30 and E36 so I have driven all of them and know exactly how each have improved and how each have lost a little something through each version. The E30 is by far the best balanced M car ever, it was so alert to your inputs by ride remarkably well given it track-oriented chassis, some of this has to do with the electronic dampers. The E36 improved on performance but lost it's fine ride, balance and steering feel, his example with a 3.0L which I felt was the nicer engine and the better gearbox.

He currently has the E46 and in comparing my E92 to it I personal find my car both to have much better ride, refinement and response from the engine. It's steering doesn't have quite the feel but it's easier to place the car on the road so BMW has done something right.

I know I have discussed this before but to make a judgement on an E9? without sampling it with stock 18" is wrong, the car behaves much better on back road and the steering just feels better. In my opinion it's the driver's option.
Appreciate 0