08-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
It’s simple vehicle dynamics. If the front has lost grip (i.e., understeering) and is pushing wide, how does slowing a front inside corner that’s lost grip help to rotate the front back toward the corner/apex/ideal trajectory? You could lock the brake and it wouldn’t help rotate the front.

As I said, a STOCK M3 that inherently understeers, not a car that’s setup for the track that for all we know has a tendency to oversteer in every corner.
the grip isn't lost. lost grip to me would be like driving on a dry track and suddenly hitting a patch of oil.
understeering is simply operating out of the tire's slip angle. you still have traction, just not enough of it.
keep in mind, mdm may also withhold power while this is happening. so if you're turning the car and it detects understeer, it may do both. it might even use both of the front brakes depending on how much driver input there is. as you know, it doesn't take a whole lot to correct understeer.
think of how much influence the front brakes have in turning, like trail braking... mdm is almost like the car is implementing some trail braking to get some more turn-in.