07-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Cool. Glad to hear you’ve already added toe. I think it’s a reasonable and cost effective first step.

Since your track is bumpy, after you drive the car and feel the toe change, if it doesn’t fix it, I would mess around with the suspension settings. Do some wild changes to the rebound and compression settings—-stuff that seems completely overboard simply to see if you can get a different feel in the braking. I can’t give you any advice on which way to go with the knobs. Just go crazy one direction and then another. Again, this is just to see if the suspension changes the braking feel. If it does, then you can start to work to dial it in.

Since you have remote reservoirs, don’t completely ignore nitrogen pressure in the reservoirs. I have found that experimenting with nitrogen can tune the behavior of the dampers a bit. It is a bit subtle but was worth it for me.

And what is your sway bar situation? On my track car, I went with a stiffer sway bar in the front, but left the stock one in the rear. If you have stiff springs in the car, a really stiff sway bar may overly restrict individual damper movement.

Is your diff considered a 1.5-way or 2-way?

(if you know my thread, you know I tried stiffer springs and just could not get the car to handle the way I wanted. And Bryan Hise, who was with JRZ and is now with Olsen, used to lecture me all the time that a stiff race car is a myth. After all these years of driving and listening to other peoples’ experiences, I do believe that when you have a high quality damper on the car, that you should go with the softest springs you can get away with. But that takes some experimentation. Of course, I’m sure that the people at KW are knowledgeable. But something does not feel right in the car. So—-you gotta experiment. If the alignment and suspension settings don’t help and you don’t want to spend the money on BBK yet, I would experiment with spring rates next.)

When do you hit the track next? I’m curious to hear how things go.
Ya I think experimenting with the damper settings are the next step if alignment changes doesn’t help the situation. Also good point regarding the nitrogen pressure - that’s also something to play around with haha.

Sway bar situation - currently running the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, rear is currently on the softest settings. Front bar we are playing around with to tune the handling balance.

The diff is considered a 2-way, equal locking on accel and decel. The diff is from limitedslip.de - the OP of the big diff shootout thread.

Next track day is on 11th - I’ll keep the thread updated.
Appreciate 0