Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
My experience says it is the camber......Back in the day, when my car was dual duty street/track, I had camber set at -3.2º all the time. I ruined a set of front PSS very quickly in a very similar way. The tire looked great except for the inside edge which was showing cords......blah.

I have always run with slight toe in. Never had toe-out on my car, so that just could not have been the issue for me.

This is why I started changing camber between street and track. Once I did that, I never had any more issues with wearing the street tires too quickly.

I know Longboarder doesn't like to do those kinds of tech things to his car, but for me, it was worthwhile.
I dug up an old photo from 2012----when I was running -3.2º on the street as well as track. I took this photo to show clearance from the suspension. But looking back at it, you can see how the Pilot Super Sport was getting completely trashed on the inside edge. And you can see the depth of the tread further to the center still has lots of depth. This tire was only run on the street. I had two sets of wheels back then.

At the time, I didn't have any experience to even notice what was happening to the tire until it was too late. But I'd say it looks quite similar to Longboarder's picture. (Again, switching camber between street and track made this 100% go away.)

Appreciate 0