Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I don't really follow the 1er very closely. It is new to the US but has been available abroad for some time, right? So the BER change is a "mid-life" change for the 1er? Will these mid-life changes be present in the 2008 135? If that is the case I would say the deal is pretty sealed on BER for the M3. I'll be glad this feature made it but am also suprised by its lack of mention in US information like the brochures. Perhaps they know most Americans and most that will buy the M3 don't give a squat about mpg. Thanks for the work on this one!
1er has been abroad for some time. I believe this is a model refresh with the new 1er models, not so much a "mid-life" change.
Again, I have nothing conrete on NA 1er BER, but press release have indicated the 1er will have BER.
I also read an older article that said the BER/AGM batteries were black and the standard batteries were white. Not sure if this still holds true, however, you can see the M3 has a black battery, same as the Euro one. It is the 1er that has the white battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree
pics look very different to me????
White battery is the 1er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
Again if I were to take a *guess* I'd say that corporately BMW wants to appear green, while avoiding giving potential buyers of its highest performing cars (i.e. ///M) an impression that the product is overly green, as it might imply "performance compromise". If so this might explain why there are few and sketchy details.
BER also uses a special alternator as well.
Also, BER doesn't indicate a performance compromise. It is the other way around. It actually reduces the load on the engine so more energy can be applied for moving the car.