Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I personally have full set of chicago cutlery with walnut handles they are high carbon steel, they are 30 years old, I sharpen then once a year using a stone, and clean up the edge from time to time with butcher steel rod. They always server me well. I never understood why someone would part so much for these German or Japanese knives, they are all made from high carbon steel and all blades will behind dull and it's just matter of sharpening then correctly.
I had some chicago cutlery and a nice set of sharpening stones and thought the same thing as you before I met my lady (who had a small set of Cutco) and it was night and day different. Ended up buying the full Ultimate set I liked them so much.
I too have a couple cutco's, they were given to me as gifts. They are nice and cut well and hold their edge, but I do not like the plastic handles. The reason why, when you're cutting meat and your hands get covered in meat juices holding on to the handle can be a bit hard. You never lose your grip on a wood handle. Plus wood has natural enzymes which kills bacteria.

As I always tell people never put knives in dishwasher or soapy water, I just wipe off my knives with soapy towel and raise in hot water.
Appreciate 0