07-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietjet View Post

I did a quick battery drain check to the best of my ability. The car was off, and the key was out of the ignition (did NOT press the ON/START button). I checked the current through the battery and it was about 52-55mA, so just slightly higher than the recommended "normal" of 50 mA. I took it to Advance Auto Parts (where I bought this battery several months ago) and they did a battery check. I had been driving all afternoon and they measured 12.58V and 72% charge and said my battery was good. I can't help but think that can't be right...72% is good?

Yesterday I had a P157F check engine code and car in limp mode. Can't tell if this is related to the battery issues, but maybe?

To answer a previous question, yes the battery is aftermarket and AGM bought from Advance Auto Parts.

Is the best thing to do now just to go and change it again to a factory BMW battery at the dealership? It just seems like a huge waste to spend $600 to change a new battery with another one...
P157F is a throttle activator error, hard to see how that relates to your issue of losing charge.

It's also hard to see how a parasitic draw of 55ma could be the cause of your problems, even though it is a little bit above typical. In 5 days of sitting you'd only have drawn 6.6 AH from a battery with a capacity of at least 80.

Anyway, you'd get the "Increased draw" warning light if you had a drain of over 80ma after the car has gone fully to sleep. The fact that you do not report this suggests that your problem almost has to be the battery.

If you went back to Advance with the battery, explained the test you did and asked for a replacement (not your money back), I'd bet they'd give it to you. I have a Platinum AGM from Advance - it's been flawless and (assuming it is not faulty) is obviously is a much better value than one from BMW.

Edit: Actually, before making any declarations, I should have asked you to describe exactly how you made the measurement of current draw

Last edited by dpaul; 07-02-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0