View Single Post
      12-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
Formula 1 racing inspired? That's a new one on me.

The F8x M3 is gonna be a torque monster. That engine pushes the boundaries of reason. 18.1 psi? That sounds good. I'll have that.
I thought it was common knowledge among M3 owners that the S65 NA V8 is formula 1 inspired, I guess some people don't have a clue.
Here is BMW's own words in their original introduction of the S65 V8 power unit for the M3 :
"
Engine block straight from BMW's Formula 1 foundry.
The engine block of the new eight-cylinder comes straight from BMW's light-alloy foundry in Landshut near Munich, where BMW also builds the engine blocks for the Company's Formula 1 racing cars. The cylinder crankcase, in turn, is made of a special aluminium silicon alloy, conventional cylinder liners being replaced by hard silicon crystals. The iron-coated pistons, finally, run directly in the uncoated, honed cylinder bore."

and a bit further:

"The power unit involved is a fast-revving naturally aspirated engine in an uncompromising sports car as in Formula 1, the highest and most challenging level of motorsport, where once again the eight-cylinder sets the standard and marks the latest development in technology. The similarities between the BMW Sauber F1 Team's power unit, on the one hand, and the power unit featured in the new BMW M3, on the other hand, are unmistakable."

and more:

"Taking Formula 1 as a role model and paving the way through BMW M engineering.
The number of cylinders, the high-speed engine concept and the low weight clearly indicates that the engineers responsible for the new eight-cylinder have been inspired by another eight-cylinder - the unique engine featured in the BMW Sauber F1, the engine currently raced by the Team in the highest realm of motorsport. And indeed, the two power units share a number of features not only in their basic technological principles, but also in their production methods, process and materials clearly borne out by the transfer of technology from motorsport to series production."

Now here is what BMW has to say about the S55 engine that will equip the the F8x M4/M3:
"Derived from N55 engine
3,027 cc (compare to 2,979 cc of N55)
stroke over-square compare to stroke under-square of N55."

and for those who do not know the N55 is a regular 3 series 335i engine. how cool is that diluting the M3 with a regular 3 series "derived engine" (BMW's own words).

There you have it. the E92 M3 V8 is a formula one inspired marvel and the coming F8x M4/M4 engine is derived from a lower mass produced commercial standard series 3 series car (335i).

Torque is not the answer for driving enjoyment. Fast revving and throttle response rule !!! (and that engine sound). Turbo lag in daily driving (not spinning that turbine on a track) and low revving suck.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 12-21-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 1