View Single Post
      09-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #21
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

There should be an explination behind these statistics as to WHY young children are bitten. It is not because the dog is evil or they should never be around a child because they will most likely bite them.

Dogs have a fight or flight instinct. They'll either run from a situation or fight. In most instances this is triggered by either fear or pain. Most dogs have a low pain tolerance and if they experience pain they immediately react. Very much like if you were to put your hand accidentally on a hot stove.

With that said children typically do not know how to interpet a dog. Especially infants who associate the dog with a cuddly toy in their room. They'll often try to restrain a dog, pull, sit, kick, bite or step on the animal. This will then trigger the fight or flight response from the animal.

Now some dogs have a much higher tolerance for pain and uncomfortable situations. These dogs are typically better suited for children. Other dogs like many small breed animals cannot deal with an enviroment like that.

My step-son, niece and nephew have "tormented" our dogs to different levels. Our 2 Great Pyr's have a high pain tolerance and will just remove themselves from the situation. My smaller dog has a much lower tolerance and needs to be watched around smaller children.

Anyhow, dogs have always been used to protect the family and that's one of the reasons I have my two Great Pyr's in the house. I travel often and I do not like the idea of leaving my family alone. I've been a victim or home invasion and I don't like the idea of strangers coming into my home unwelcomed. I prefer the option of a dog over a gun. As a gun can be used againist it's owner and there is a risk of a bystander being hurt when the gun is discharged.