Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
All the wheels I've used are hub-centric.

I'm telling ya----there's just something about our platform once you get enough power, grip, aero, braking and reduce the lap times........something is up.

Let me tell you this story: My friend and I have the same car---E90 M3. Same suspension. Same wheel widths---10.5" square. Same tires---Pirelli DH 305. Same rear wing. Very similar front aero. Both cars supercharged. We used to have the same AP brakes until I moved to Essex AP. Same brake pads. These two cars are very similar. The biggest difference is that my car is gutted and caged and his is not.....just a light stripping. He uses different studs and nuts than me. He uses a different torque wrench than me. And we use different alignment shops with slightly different settings.

In early 2019, we were at the same track event at Chuckwalla. During that event, we both broke studs on the same corner of the car---front driver side. Chuckwalla has a banked bowl that is particularly punishing to the front driver side. I mean.....c'mon....we both broke studs on the same corner of the cars at the same event......

And for me, over 90% of the stud breaks are exactly the same----they break inside the hub, which is exactly what kind of break he had.

And my stud breaks have occurred with different brands of studs. And they've broken regardless of whether it was me installing them or a shop.

Pleeeeeeeease don't tell me it's just simple clamping force and that we're doing something wrong. I'm not a race team mercilessly gunning nuts on and off while everything is molten hot in an endurance race......Something is up.

Since I put the 14mm threaded studs in the front, I've had zero problems. I'm really looking forward to the 14mm press-ins now.
Chuckwalla ate another stud today. Right rear while changing wheels, but it was already gone, maybe 20 pounds of torque before it let loose. MSI studs about 16 months old. Had that replacement with me, but no way to remove the broken stud.

Hearing you talk about breaking these off at the hub, hoping I can get this one out

Thanks for the super helpful information guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0