sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Lemme get this straight. This is a DIY, right? You have to open up the headlights. How is this done? I was under the impression that this is akin to black magic or something. Once the headlights are out is it really that easy to open them up to replace the rings? TIA.

awei130,

Is that your car? Looks good.

Cheers.

P.S. Which Kevin?
Yep, much easier than I expected to open them up. I was apprehensive because I saw a youtube how to on a different brand headlight and the guy had to pry, bake, pry, bake several times, looked like a pain but it was cake.

There is one screw and two rubber tube vents (they're not actually air tight, might surprise some), remove them. Pop them in the oven at 200 or so for 10 min, put on some thin gloves (I had a pair of pit crew gloves) so you still have dexterity, pull them out of the oven, pop off the clips and the lens should peel right off with very minimal prying to get it started.

Sounds scary, until you realize that the headlight internals get much hotter during operation, especially halogen DRL on a 100 degree+ day. No way the heat will hurt. I have seen people suggest a heat gun, very bad idea, not only do you get to fight with uneven heating but most guns have a choice of 500 or 1000 deg, either is capable of melting something.

putting them back together is easier. the sealant is tough and tacky at room temp, i was able to fit them together within a few mm and attach two of the clips, and then popped them back in the oven for 5 min, pulled them out and squeezed them the rest of the way, installed the screws, rubber vents and was done. for those extra cautious, you could also run an additional small bead of silicone on the seam, easy to cut if you want to reopen for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0