07-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
PM sent

Thanks for pointing out that my controller P/N was different from the one that I actually ordered. I did not pay attention to that as the dealer did not informed me of the superceded part before shipping, and just because it just worked in my 05/08 production M3 right away.

The only thing that I can think of is that the two major changes in the MY2008 production was the M-DCT and the TCU, and both were performed after 04/08. The -309 controller is a brand new part from production 03/09-on, and the -048 controller was valid until 03/09. So it is either a hardware, software or both changes in the -309 controller. The -309 part is so new that neither realOEM.com, Tischer or United BMW have this part listed yet.

In other words, discarting that your controller may be defective from factory/shipping/handling, the other possibility is that for your particular production of 01/08 the controller that will work is the -048 and not the -309. There's another controller for the Coupe as well, 65 82 9 189 050, however, there's member KKSigua M3 Coupe of production date 05/08 that's also using the -048 controller without issues according to his posts.

I would say, try your controller in any other production date 3 Series with iDrive to see if it works in another car at all. At least you need to know first if the controller is not defective. Then you can determine if this is a production date issue. In the meantime I will be posting in my other thread a caution note about this issue.

Have you guys tried sourcing the new controller they used in the 5-series from September 2008 to March 2009? That was designed to work with the older i-Drive systems ... just a thought?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=65&fg=45

Scratch that ... part number listed for the 5 series is the same as what you guys are listing for the M3.
Appreciate 0