04-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #115
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I will give you the AG version.

Creatively the Audi R8 is simply an image boosting car for Audi , outside of Germany Audi sales and products are not as yet on the levels with BMW or Mercedes-Benz. Whilst BMW are considered to be leaders it is best to lead than to follow and to concentrate on other developments that would be everlasting than a supercar.

Once of the reasons why BMW did not get involved with the SLR , Carerra GT etc was because where are they now? They where fifteen minute projects waiting for the next one to come along.
Whilst the praise for Audi and it's R8 ( I actually like the R8 but I do not see the need for BMW to have such a car)
BMW could have concentrated on a SLR supercar but instead invested their R&D budget into upcoming products and it's "Efficient Dynamics" programme which offers much more of an image boost than a fifteen minute supercar project. While the Audi is the talking point of the moment.
Mercedes have an upcoming R8 Rival as is an imminent small Ferrari. Are we still going to talking about the R8 if the Ferrari and mercedes is as good as the previews make them out to be?

Whilst there is talk of a BMW supercar and certain factions would like to do such a vehicle the priorities have changed. If such a vehicle were to be concentrated on it would not be what you expect it to be. Yes it will be fast and incredibly light but would be powered by a high capacity , efficient engine with either BMW hybrid drive or hydrogen.
Such a project would showcase BMW's leadership as they want each of their products identified with "Efficient Dynamics" which means more efficiency and more technical developments without sacrificing dynamic pleasure.
For "Efficient Dynamics" look at the M-Division this will become the pinnacle programme of BMW's "Efficient Dynamics" There is so much that can be achieved which is why BMW are more interested in this direction because as of now the rivals are barely catching up.

Thanks Scott, since you speak for AG where all the development is, the answer to my question # 1 is "NO".

The direction that you are heading with respect to "Efficient Dynamics" scares me a little. As an owner of the current M6 with the need to fill up every 300 kms for a full tank...there is much room for improvement. But the most important thing for me is the performance of the M car, followed by technology followed by luxury.

I realize I am fearful because I don't have details but if BMW M gmbh starts building fast versions of a Prius, I will be getting the new Ferrari or MB / McLaren. If M can deliver better performance than the current M6 with better fuel efficiency then sign me up.

This is an important point that I hope you can bring back to your management team. Performance with luxury above fuel efficiency. I know engineers love to get in a room and show case their talent but please ensure it is a ///M product that current ///M owners want. ///M owners want performance.

BTW, please don't let BMW USA hijack ///M cars again like putting the 6 speed manual transmission in the E60 M5....horrible.

I also copied your post over on the M5board here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=116897

I am sure you will get some good feedback from my fellow M5 / M6 owners.

Last edited by T Bone; 04-13-2008 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0