View Single Post
      11-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

IMO, if you're under warranty stick with the 10W60; if you're out of warranty do whatever you want. I'm going to stick with the 10w-60 even outside of warranty. I think everyone can agree that the bulletin allows the 10W60 or 5W30 listed; not everyone agrees that it allows any and all LL-01's. I asked Mike Miller about this and he also interpreted the bulletin like I did - that 10W60 and 5W30 are the only recommended and approved oils for the S65.

But there are many out there intent on interpreting the bulletin as allowing any LL-01 irrespective of what is discussed. It's their choice and they bear the risk of being wrong. With the cost of an S65 engine being what it is, I'm not about to give BMW a window of opportunity to wiggle out of a warranty (or goodwill) repair for using an "unauthorized" oil.

Look at this bulletin from 2008: http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content...hetic-oils.pdf

It has the same language as the new bulletin but for some reason, folks think that BMW has had some fantastic revelation and decided that all LL-01 oils are good for the S65 (even though no weight is specified for the LL-01 oil). Mike Miller raised a very good point in his reply. He pointed out that the LL-01 specification is BMW's rating for how long you could run the oil before oil changes (note that Mike does not agree at all with BMW's 15k mile oil change interval recommendation) and not a specification for lubrication.

Last edited by rantarM3; 11-13-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0