View Single Post
      02-23-2019, 02:35 AM   #3075
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So it's interesting, CCW permits are almost unheard of in Canada. I know of a few that have been issued but rarely.

The one thing I find interesting in the US vs Canada is that each state has its own criminal laws and therefore they often vary from state to state. I guess I find it odd compared to Canada where the criminal code is universal across the country.

Our laws on firearms are a bit too strict in my view, and likely to get stricter. However, once I have a RPAL, Restricted Purchase Acquisition Licence I can order or buy guns pretty easily. Non-restricted guns, so hunting and target rifles with a barrel 18" or longer I can walk into a gun store and buy or order and have it shipped and it will be here the next day. Restricted, so rifles with less than 18" barrel and hand guns with longer than 4 1/4" barrels take a few days longer as the CFO, Chief Firearms Officer must process the sale and registration of the firearm. Theres been a backlog lately so it takes about 10 days but normally faster. I think the backlog is because there is fear the government is going to place more restrictions on handguns so I think folks are buying them up now. That reminds me, I need to get the wife .357 ordered.
In the US, there's Federal level laws and then state level laws. States like Texas would be more friendly to firearm owners, but places like California they would not. I'd love it if they did it only on a Federal level, but local politicians think they know better and love to push anti gun laws down our throats. Problem with lots of these politicians is that they fear the gun and haven't even really touched it unless it was a photo op. If they understood guns and didn't like it.. I would highly respect their opinions. Unfortunately many of them don't have my respect.
Appreciate 2