01-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #35
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
So far the 3m 77 is holding up nicely. If I did it over I would use 3M/Headliner & fabric adhesive. It's better at holding a bond in high heat. Also, use the super glue with the brush applicator.

Yes, the silver trim detail can be removed once you separate the halves of the lid. Take a small sharp chisel or razor and cut off the melted plastic (ring). Once the melted plastic is cut off, push off the detail.

Separating the halves of the lid is tricky. If you do the one in the back seat it's a little easier because the tabs holding the two halves together are easier to see. The front comes apart the same way but the tabs aren't visible so it's not obvious where to pry them apart.

Wrapping the lid is very tedious and probably the most difficult. If you have too much excess fabric, the two halves won't go back together. Figure out where/how the halves go together and manage the fabric accordingly.

Once you've wrapped it, you can install the silver detail. You'll need to poke holes in the fabric for the posts of the silver detail. Once it's in (it will be tight already), flip the piece over, put a drop of super glue on a post, press and hold it tight, and do the next post. This is what I did but you might find a better way.
Awesome, thanks. I really appreciate the help. If you don't mind, I might hit you up with more questions if I run into trouble.
Appreciate 0