E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Ok, so, your mileage may vary yada.

My mission here was not to have a dual duty car or anything like that, it was to have stockish spring rates and much better damping, and still have nice long travel like stock and a cushy street ride like I had with my MCS doubles turned all the way down, but without the cost and hassle of a remote reservoir dumper, and with oem mounting for noise and comfort and compliance and simplicity. The stock shocks and strut have way too much “memory” after an impact. Too many oscillations before damping it out.

I am not using the Sachs rear springs or adjusters which appear to be 120N/mm same Part as the f80 kit. I’m using ZCP “X5” code rears) I have a Dinan bar set on medium with dinan camber plates at -2/1.6 camber front/rear. Square 275/30-19 Michelin PS4S on 220m rears, with a 5mm rear spacer. I set the front at the same height as I was at the other ZCP springs and stock shocks. The rear ride height did not change with the shocks (had Bilstein B8 before).

All that said, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I should have done this 2 years ago. The car is just plain better in every way. Ride over small expansion joints, better. Big hits and curb hops? Better. Frontend is way more pointy, rear still very compliant and controllable (did NOT want more rear spring, my street car doesn’t need to be any more lively than it already is). Memory is now very short. One place that was always disappointing for a performance car was how upset the car got in big displacement events like a dip followed by a bump. Totally unsettled the car. That’s gone. One impact and it’s ready for the next one within a tenth or so

And there s a ton of adjustment range left. My biggest positive surprise is how nice it is over concrete slabs at neighborhood speeds. The MCs were always excellent there and the stock strust and shocks were harsh. Back to magic carpet ride. (Relatively, still has 30-aspect ratio 19’s on it)

Anyway, yeah. Good stuff. If you want a nice riding street setup to replace your aging non edc car’s suspension for not muc. More than replacement stock dampers this is a great deal.

It is not near enough front spring for r-compound track use imo because you’ll want more camber than is optimal to keep the outside shoulders happy. But they seem to have enough damping to “handle” much more than the spring I have on the car. They are turned down very close to all the way 5/20 and 6/20 front and rear. So, maybe. I probably will never know.

Woop
Sounds like a good setup for people who use their M3's regularly and at the same time want something better than stock to have fun in track days without going to r comps. Thanks for the detailed review with examples of typical road imperfections.
Appreciate 0