View Single Post
      07-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #52
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

TRACK REPORT:

First track use of the Z-54 front brake system since installation. Was at Charlotte Motor Speedway. It's not actually a very brake heavy track and the potential speeds that were anticipated were more hype than reality. Coming out of the infield portion of the track you could go flat out through NASCAR turns 1 and 2, but the back straight isn't really all that long and in my car that meant about 135-138 on the speedo entering NASCAR turn 3. I didn't have the nerve to run flat out through that turn but it might be possible, so I would lift and take about 10 mph off and then roll in the throttle once the apex was visible.

The only "heavy braking" was from the front straight (which has a kink in it) to the infield turn one. So, the brakes. Fantastic. Can't say anything about fade resistance as I wouldn't expect the stock system with track pads to have any fade either, What's interesting is that you get a lot more braking force with less pedal effort than the stock system. The system is super linear and very progressive. The initial bite is really good and super easy to modulate. The pedal feel is also very consistent lap after lap, but we were only running 20 minute sessions so they really didn't have to work very hard, With relatively new tires it's easy to out brake most of the other cars out there but that's probably more a product of the driver than anything else since there were plenty of track only vehicles in each session. Can't really say anything bad about the system, super consistent, very confidence inspiring and no issues at all.

Looking at the pad wear after the track event I'd say for that one day I used about an 1/8" of pad material based on how far the pistons sticking out (hardly at all). I'll leave the track pads in for a week of street driving to scrub the track pad layer off, then will switch to the street pads again (super easy). Atlanta Motorsports Park next end of August.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Theodore668.50